Skip to main content

Thomas Dogherty

From the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography

Dogherty, Thomas (d. 1805), legal writer, was born in Ireland, the son of Patrick Dogherty of Edenderry, King's county. Educated at a country school, he later moved to England, and became clerk to Mr Foster Bower, an eminent pleader or legal writer. He spent more than sixteen years in this capacity, studying law industriously, and making from his master's manuscripts, and those of Sir Joseph Yates and Sir Thomas Davenport, vast collections of precedents and notes. However, about 1785, on Bower's advice, he became a special pleader, concerned with drawing up the written proceedings of lawsuits. Dogherty was admitted a member of Gray's Inn on 4 October 1804. For some years he held the office of clerk of indictments on the Chester circuit.In 1787 Dogherty wrote The Crown Circuit Assistant, in 1790 and 1799 he edited the sixth and seventh editions of The Crown Circuit Companion, and in 1800 he brought out an edition of Sir Matthew Hale's The History of the Pleas of the Crown. Dogherty wore himself out with hard work and died at his chambers in Clifford's Inn on 29 September 1805, leaving a large family ill-provided for. Describing Dogherty as a self-taught genius, an obituary praised ‘his modest and unassuming manners, his independent mind, his strict honour and probity’ (GM, 1074).J. A. Hamilton, rev. Robert Brown
Sources
A. Chalmers, ed., The general biographical dictionary, new edn, 32 vols. (1812–17) · R. Ryan, Biographica Hibernica: a biographical dictionary of the worthies of Ireland (1819–21) · GM, 1st ser., 75 (1805), 1074 · J. Foster, The register of admissions to Gray’s Inn, 1521–1889, together with the register of marriages in Gray's Inn chapel, 1695–1754 (privately printed, London, 1889)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A SHORT HISTORY OF EDENDERRY

From earliest times to the 13th Century.


About 120 AD Cathair Mór. King of Leinster, became powerful enough to be designated Ard-Rí Éireann by the four masters in the annals.He had ten sons, the eldest Ros Fáilghe (“of the rings”) was given the territory of North Offaly which became known as Uí Fáilighe in later times and from which the name Offaly derives.

The O’Connor sept is descended from Ros, they ruled all or part of Offaly up until the late 16th century.Offaly was divided into 7 “tríocha céad” or districts.Each district had it’s own sub-chief, the area that includes modern day Edenderry was called Tuatha-dá-Muighe, the territory of the two plains, which was the patrimonial inheritance of the O’Mulkenes.The name of the area gradually became corrupted until it was known as Tetmoy Ballykilleen Fort
This is the oldest structure extant in the Edenderry area. (To get to it head out of Edenderry on Tullamore road and turn left at Ballyfore crossroads towards the power station).

It is a tri…

Blundell Castle, Edenderry

BLUNDELL CASTLE: A BRIEF HISTORY The area around Edenderry is littered with castles, most of which were built in the Anglo- Norman period, such as Carrick, Kinnefad, Ballyleakin and Brackagh amongst others. Overlooking the town of Edenderry, BlundellCastle is located on a hill from which the town gets its name; Eadon Doire, meaning brow or hill-top of the oak trees. Today, the oak trees are long since gone, but the ruins of the castle remain, a testament to the days of De Bermingham and O’Connor feuding, and later Cooley (or Cowley) power, the family who were granted the lands of Edenderry after the Laois/Offaly Plantation in 1556. In their book, Edenderry through the ages[1], Evans and Whelan make no mention of a date of the building of BlundellCastle. The earliest mention they make of the castle is when referring to the 1550 survey taken prior to the plantation, which mentions “a path to the castell of Eadandyrre”[2]. The remains of the present castle, or tower house, can be traced t…

When Edenderry was Ireland’s ‘Detroit’

Detroit is synonymous with being the Headquarters of the US Car manufacturing Industry. There was a time at the start of the 20th Century when it could be fairly said that Edenderry was the “Detroit”, or motor car manufacturing capital of Ireland.

The first motor car manufacturer was William Corrigan.His gravestone at CastroPetreCemetery records that he died on the 3rd January 1946 aged 83 years. 42 years earlier, in 1902, and at the age of 41 or so, he manufactured a 4 ½ hp car. Apparently there is a photograph of this car in the museum of the Royal Irish Automobile Club which has its headquarters in Kildare Street, Dublin. William Corrigan ran a very successful garage business. According to details recorded in one of the late Joe Reilly’s books, over 40 people were employed there and some of the principal customers were O’Brien’s which had 15 Lorries and 8 Vans and Williams’ Bakery.The garage business was located at the rear of William Corrigan’s house on Main Street Edenderry. Joe D…