Skip to main content

The Formation of Edenderry Boxing Club 1934

Ciaran Reilly examines the formation of Edenderry Boxing Club formed in 1934

In 2009 nationally the GAA celebrated its 125 anniversary with great style and numerous activities, indeed Edenderry GAA marked the occasion with numerous events. Another local club celebrating an anniversary was Edenderry Boxing Club who were seventy five years in existence in 2009. A report in the Irish Times 9 April 1934 celebrates the arrival of the town of Edenderry into the boxing world. On 7 April 1934 ‘some capital fights were witnessed at Edenderry on Saturday evening in a series of matches between St Joseph’s Dublin and the recently formed local club’. The tournament the first of its kind in Edenderry ended in a draw with five wins each. There were also three special contests on the night which featured several prominent boxers in the Irish Amateur Boxing ranks. In all there were five different divisions where local fighters competed followed by three exhibition matches of the highest quality from six boxers; five from Dublin and one from county Wicklow. The results on the night were (and which will be of interest to local readers and boxing enthusiasts): Juvenile Section: T Kinsella (Dublin) beat J Connell (Edenderry); P Fagan (Dublin) beat K Nolan (Edenderry); Fly Weights: E Farrell (Edenderry) beat T McCardle (Dublin); J Halpin (Dublin) beat J Reid (Edenderry); Feather Weights: W Ladley (Edenderry) beat C Brogan (Dublin); James English (Edenderry) beat TF Crowe (Dublin); Welter Weights: J Dempsey (Edenderry) beat J Bruce (Dublin); C Dowdall (Dublin) beat M English (Edenderry). In the Special Fights T Kelly of Corinthians beat C Duffy of Chapelizod ; J Gregan of Chapelizod beat M Coffey of Arbour Hill while J McEvoy of Bohemians beat V Fortune of Bray.
No further details were provided of Edenderry’s boxing club event but it must surely have caught the public imagination. Today the Edenderry Boxing Club continue to provide facilities and a sporting outlet for the people of Edenderry and have produced many notable fighters over the years.


Popular posts from this blog


From earliest times to the 13th Century.

About 120 AD Cathair Mór. King of Leinster, became powerful enough to be designated Ard-Rí Éireann by the four masters in the annals.He had ten sons, the eldest Ros Fáilghe (“of the rings”) was given the territory of North Offaly which became known as Uí Fáilighe in later times and from which the name Offaly derives.

The O’Connor sept is descended from Ros, they ruled all or part of Offaly up until the late 16th century.Offaly was divided into 7 “tríocha céad” or districts.Each district had it’s own sub-chief, the area that includes modern day Edenderry was called Tuatha-dá-Muighe, the territory of the two plains, which was the patrimonial inheritance of the O’Mulkenes.The name of the area gradually became corrupted until it was known as Tetmoy Ballykilleen Fort
This is the oldest structure extant in the Edenderry area. (To get to it head out of Edenderry on Tullamore road and turn left at Ballyfore crossroads towards the power station).

It is a tri…

Blundell Castle, Edenderry

BLUNDELL CASTLE: A BRIEF HISTORY The area around Edenderry is littered with castles, most of which were built in the Anglo- Norman period, such as Carrick, Kinnefad, Ballyleakin and Brackagh amongst others. Overlooking the town of Edenderry, BlundellCastle is located on a hill from which the town gets its name; Eadon Doire, meaning brow or hill-top of the oak trees. Today, the oak trees are long since gone, but the ruins of the castle remain, a testament to the days of De Bermingham and O’Connor feuding, and later Cooley (or Cowley) power, the family who were granted the lands of Edenderry after the Laois/Offaly Plantation in 1556. In their book, Edenderry through the ages[1], Evans and Whelan make no mention of a date of the building of BlundellCastle. The earliest mention they make of the castle is when referring to the 1550 survey taken prior to the plantation, which mentions “a path to the castell of Eadandyrre”[2]. The remains of the present castle, or tower house, can be traced t…

When Edenderry was Ireland’s ‘Detroit’

Detroit is synonymous with being the Headquarters of the US Car manufacturing Industry. There was a time at the start of the 20th Century when it could be fairly said that Edenderry was the “Detroit”, or motor car manufacturing capital of Ireland.

The first motor car manufacturer was William Corrigan.His gravestone at CastroPetreCemetery records that he died on the 3rd January 1946 aged 83 years. 42 years earlier, in 1902, and at the age of 41 or so, he manufactured a 4 ½ hp car. Apparently there is a photograph of this car in the museum of the Royal Irish Automobile Club which has its headquarters in Kildare Street, Dublin. William Corrigan ran a very successful garage business. According to details recorded in one of the late Joe Reilly’s books, over 40 people were employed there and some of the principal customers were O’Brien’s which had 15 Lorries and 8 Vans and Williams’ Bakery.The garage business was located at the rear of William Corrigan’s house on Main Street Edenderry. Joe D…