Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from July, 2011

Offaly 1960-61 Football Team

As most seasoned GAA followers within the county of Offaly are no doubt aware, this year is the 50th anniversary of Offaly’s first historic Leinster Senior Football Final win over Louth in 1960. Subsequently in 1961 Down and Offaly were to meet in the 1961 All Ireland Football final before the largest ever recorded attendance at a sporting event in Ireland, where Down narrowly emerged as the victors. In order to mark these highly significant achievements two local men intend to produce a book to celebrate these events which will be published in 2011.




The book will be written by Edenderry’s Padraig Foy and historian CiarĂ¡n Reilly. Together they hope to chronicle the events that best describe this important period and bring to light the achievements of this team to a wide audience including both young and old.



The central theme of the book will be from an Offaly perspective, encompassing the insights, recollections and reflections of all the central participants involved in what was an …

Edenderry OS MAP 1911

Alan Godfrey Maps (Great Britain) have recently published the Edenderry Ordnance Survey Map of 1911 as part of the Godfrey Edition of maps, of which, to date, over 2,500 have been published. The double sided map is accompanied by an essay on the evolution of Edenderry in the 19th century by Ciaran Reilly.


This double sided map shows the very rural area and many plots of land, the Rectory near Short's Bend, Killane House, Killane, Parochial House, St Mary's RC Church, Smithy. The Fever Hospital, Union Workhouse, Infirmary Grave Yard, Bella Vista, Friends Burial Ground, Convent School, School, Chapel Road, Glen Cottages, Downshire Row, Harbour, New Row, Man Street. Market Square, Blundell House, Meth. Ch, Windsor Lodge and down the map to Gas Works, Church Walk, Downshire Statue, Fair Green, Castropetre Church, Grave Yard, Quarries, Saw Mills, Blundell Castle (ruin) The Wood Fields, Grand Canal (Edenderry Branch, and surrounding plots of land to bottom of map.




Over it shows Co…

Edenderry HS visits Clane, county Kildare

On Sunday 24 July members of the Edenderry Historical Society enjoyed a very successful and enjoyable trip to nearby Clane, County Kildare. On the day the society were grateful for the wonderful guides from the Clane Historical Society, namely Chairperson, John Noonan, Brendan Cullen and Pat Given. As you can see from the attached pictures there was a great attendance and the group visited the ruins of the Franciscan Friary dating from 1258; the motte and bailey close to the Alexandra Bridge from where Clane got its name and other local landmarks in the village such as the old forge, RIC barracks, the home of Matthew Donnellon, the abbey and the Church of St Patrick and Bridget. After refreshments the group then visited nearby Millicent Church where they were treated to a guided tour of this wonderful church. Our thanks again to the Clane Historical Society and the vestry of St Michael's and All Angels for allowing us access to Millicent.


Heritage Week Talk - 24 August 2011

On Wednesday 24 August as part of National Heritage Week, Ciaran Reilly will give a talk on 'Newberry before Newberry: The making of a county Kildare landed estate'.

This talk will focus on the history and making of the Newberry estate at nearby Carbury. Built in 1764 by Athur Pomeroy, later Viscount Harberton, Newberry Hall is one of the finest country houses in the locality.

The lecture will take place at 7.30pm in St Mary's Parish Centre, Edenderry.

All are welcome. Admission free.