Skip to main content

Edenderry OS MAP 1911

Alan Godfrey Maps (Great Britain) have recently published the Edenderry Ordnance Survey Map of 1911 as part of the Godfrey Edition of maps, of which, to date, over 2,500 have been published. The double sided map is accompanied by an essay on the evolution of Edenderry in the 19th century by Ciaran Reilly.


This double sided map shows the very rural area and many plots of land, the Rectory near Short's Bend, Killane House, Killane, Parochial House, St Mary's RC Church, Smithy. The Fever Hospital, Union Workhouse, Infirmary Grave Yard, Bella Vista, Friends Burial Ground, Convent School, School, Chapel Road, Glen Cottages, Downshire Row, Harbour, New Row, Man Street. Market Square, Blundell House, Meth. Ch, Windsor Lodge and down the map to Gas Works, Church Walk, Downshire Statue, Fair Green, Castropetre Church, Grave Yard, Quarries, Saw Mills, Blundell Castle (ruin) The Wood Fields, Grand Canal (Edenderry Branch, and surrounding plots of land to bottom of map.




Over it shows Cornybarrow Street, Terminus, Goods Shed, Engine Sheed, Pump House, Railway Line Edenderry Branch, MGWR to Coneyburrow Bridge and Blundell Street to bottom of map mostly plots of land but one row of terrace houses.

The society hopes to have copies of the map in the not to distant future, but in the meantime same can be purchased from the Offaly Historical Society, Tullamore.

The full list for county Offaly is:

Clara & Ferbane 1910 - published 2011, intro by Michael Goodbody

Edenderry 1911 - published 2011, intro by Ciarán J Reilly

Tullamore 1910 - published 1995, intro by Michael Byrne
 Banagher 1909 - published 1995, intro by Alan Godfrey
 Birr 1909 - published 1996, intro by Michael Byrne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A SHORT HISTORY OF EDENDERRY

From earliest times to the 13th Century.


About 120 AD Cathair Mór. King of Leinster, became powerful enough to be designated Ard-Rí Éireann by the four masters in the annals.He had ten sons, the eldest Ros Fáilghe (“of the rings”) was given the territory of North Offaly which became known as Uí Fáilighe in later times and from which the name Offaly derives.

The O’Connor sept is descended from Ros, they ruled all or part of Offaly up until the late 16th century.Offaly was divided into 7 “tríocha céad” or districts.Each district had it’s own sub-chief, the area that includes modern day Edenderry was called Tuatha-dá-Muighe, the territory of the two plains, which was the patrimonial inheritance of the O’Mulkenes.The name of the area gradually became corrupted until it was known as Tetmoy Ballykilleen Fort
This is the oldest structure extant in the Edenderry area. (To get to it head out of Edenderry on Tullamore road and turn left at Ballyfore crossroads towards the power station).

It is a tri…

When Edenderry was Ireland’s ‘Detroit’

Detroit is synonymous with being the Headquarters of the US Car manufacturing Industry. There was a time at the start of the 20th Century when it could be fairly said that Edenderry was the “Detroit”, or motor car manufacturing capital of Ireland.

The first motor car manufacturer was William Corrigan.His gravestone at CastroPetreCemetery records that he died on the 3rd January 1946 aged 83 years. 42 years earlier, in 1902, and at the age of 41 or so, he manufactured a 4 ½ hp car. Apparently there is a photograph of this car in the museum of the Royal Irish Automobile Club which has its headquarters in Kildare Street, Dublin. William Corrigan ran a very successful garage business. According to details recorded in one of the late Joe Reilly’s books, over 40 people were employed there and some of the principal customers were O’Brien’s which had 15 Lorries and 8 Vans and Williams’ Bakery.The garage business was located at the rear of William Corrigan’s house on Main Street Edenderry. Joe D…

Blundell Castle, Edenderry

BLUNDELL CASTLE: A BRIEF HISTORY The area around Edenderry is littered with castles, most of which were built in the Anglo- Norman period, such as Carrick, Kinnefad, Ballyleakin and Brackagh amongst others. Overlooking the town of Edenderry, BlundellCastle is located on a hill from which the town gets its name; Eadon Doire, meaning brow or hill-top of the oak trees. Today, the oak trees are long since gone, but the ruins of the castle remain, a testament to the days of De Bermingham and O’Connor feuding, and later Cooley (or Cowley) power, the family who were granted the lands of Edenderry after the Laois/Offaly Plantation in 1556. In their book, Edenderry through the ages[1], Evans and Whelan make no mention of a date of the building of BlundellCastle. The earliest mention they make of the castle is when referring to the 1550 survey taken prior to the plantation, which mentions “a path to the castell of Eadandyrre”[2]. The remains of the present castle, or tower house, can be traced t…