Skip to main content

Monasteroris (Castropetre) Vicars and Rectors


 

Monasteroris (Castropetre)  Vicars and Rectors

(Reproduced by kind permission of the Representative Church Body, who hold the copyright)

1424 Cornelius O'Lehuhyr.
1437/8 Maurice O'Fyayth.
1456 Maurice Yheaith V. is d.
1456 Magonius O'Conalean.
1456 Thady O'Sulmacg.
1464/5 Thady O'Concobuyr.
1550 Malachi Hennessy.
1558/9 Thomas Flynne.
1605 Pierce O'Fgleyn.
1628/9 John Wigget.

1666 George Mundy.
1682 Benjamin Mayne.
1685 William Nelson pres. to V. Monasteroris and R. Ballymacwilliam, June 11.
1699/1700 Daniel Tomlinson pres. to V. Monasteroris and Ballymacwilliam, Feb. 22.
1706/7 Thomas Bushe.
1731/2 William Tisdall.
1736 William Gore pres. to V. of M. & R. & V. Kilclonfert, May 3.
1736/7 Thomas Bullen.
1742 Arthur Champagne.
1761 Arthur Champagne Jnr.
1801 William Lambert.
1811 William Grattan.
1817 Patrick Renny.
1818 John Jones.
1830 Graham Philip Crozier.
1842 Henry Moore.
1844 John Edward Murray

1883 John Dickson Eccles Newcombe.
1905 Robert Hale Bodel.
1922 Henry St. Clair Jennings.
1935 John Barnhill Smith McGinley.
1948 John Godwin Benson.
1949 Ronald Macaulay May.
1964 John Jackson.
1972 Charles William Finney.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A SHORT HISTORY OF EDENDERRY

From earliest times to the 13th Century.


About 120 AD Cathair Mór. King of Leinster, became powerful enough to be designated Ard-Rí Éireann by the four masters in the annals.He had ten sons, the eldest Ros Fáilghe (“of the rings”) was given the territory of North Offaly which became known as Uí Fáilighe in later times and from which the name Offaly derives.

The O’Connor sept is descended from Ros, they ruled all or part of Offaly up until the late 16th century.Offaly was divided into 7 “tríocha céad” or districts.Each district had it’s own sub-chief, the area that includes modern day Edenderry was called Tuatha-dá-Muighe, the territory of the two plains, which was the patrimonial inheritance of the O’Mulkenes.The name of the area gradually became corrupted until it was known as Tetmoy Ballykilleen Fort
This is the oldest structure extant in the Edenderry area. (To get to it head out of Edenderry on Tullamore road and turn left at Ballyfore crossroads towards the power station).

It is a tri…

When Edenderry was Ireland’s ‘Detroit’

Detroit is synonymous with being the Headquarters of the US Car manufacturing Industry. There was a time at the start of the 20th Century when it could be fairly said that Edenderry was the “Detroit”, or motor car manufacturing capital of Ireland.

The first motor car manufacturer was William Corrigan.His gravestone at CastroPetreCemetery records that he died on the 3rd January 1946 aged 83 years. 42 years earlier, in 1902, and at the age of 41 or so, he manufactured a 4 ½ hp car. Apparently there is a photograph of this car in the museum of the Royal Irish Automobile Club which has its headquarters in Kildare Street, Dublin. William Corrigan ran a very successful garage business. According to details recorded in one of the late Joe Reilly’s books, over 40 people were employed there and some of the principal customers were O’Brien’s which had 15 Lorries and 8 Vans and Williams’ Bakery.The garage business was located at the rear of William Corrigan’s house on Main Street Edenderry. Joe D…

Blundell Castle, Edenderry

BLUNDELL CASTLE: A BRIEF HISTORY The area around Edenderry is littered with castles, most of which were built in the Anglo- Norman period, such as Carrick, Kinnefad, Ballyleakin and Brackagh amongst others. Overlooking the town of Edenderry, BlundellCastle is located on a hill from which the town gets its name; Eadon Doire, meaning brow or hill-top of the oak trees. Today, the oak trees are long since gone, but the ruins of the castle remain, a testament to the days of De Bermingham and O’Connor feuding, and later Cooley (or Cowley) power, the family who were granted the lands of Edenderry after the Laois/Offaly Plantation in 1556. In their book, Edenderry through the ages[1], Evans and Whelan make no mention of a date of the building of BlundellCastle. The earliest mention they make of the castle is when referring to the 1550 survey taken prior to the plantation, which mentions “a path to the castell of Eadandyrre”[2]. The remains of the present castle, or tower house, can be traced t…