The Universal Providing Stores" was established in Edenderry by the O'Brien family in 1840 and "Arranged on the Departmental Store a Universal Supply System in 1885". Its logo was "Everything Marketable Bought and Sold". It was a very successful business and established Branches in Counties Westmeath, Kildare, Carlow, Offaly (King's), and Antrim namely Mullingar, Kinnegad, Rathangan, Maynooth, Kilmeague, Moyvalley, Tullow, Clonbulloge and Lurgan. It also operated a Cereal Mill, a Mineral Water Factory, the former Williams' Bakery and Funeral Undertaking. The Edenderry Premises suffered extensive fire damage in the late 1950's and was rebuilt on modern lines. It was a large employer and ceased operations in the 1980's.