Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from October, 2013

Upcoming lecture, 25 October

Our next monthly lecture will be given by Dr Elizabeth O’Brien, Re-discovering Columba’s Monastery at Durrow, Co. Offaly. The lecture will be held in the Parish Centre at 8pm all are welcome.
Dr Elizabeth O’Brien is an Archaeologist and Early Irish historian who specialises in Early Medieval burial practices.  Currently the Principal Researcher for the Irish Mapping Death project, she is a member of Council of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, a member of the Directorate of the Discovery Programme, Chair of the LIARI (Late Iron Age/Roman Ireland) project in the Discovery Programme, and is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London, and a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.  She has a very special interest in Columba’s Monastery at Durrow

Edenderry in times past, vol 22

John Conmee (date of death 22nd April 1949) operated "Edenderry Printing Works" and produced many of the Billheads, Tickets and Posters for the locality. He and his wife Mary also had a shop in their house. Note the address - "J.K.L.Street". James Doyle, Catholic Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin in the 19th Century, signed his public correspondence as "J.K.L." and that the Invoice/Statement is from the 1930's.
In 1929 the Parish Priest of Edenderry, Paul Murphy, unilaterally changed the street names.  This coincided with the Centenary of Catholic emancipation (1829), by law, a plebiscite is  required to carry out the change of name of a public street. Main Street transformed into J.K.L. Street - New Row transformed into St. Francis Street - Railway Street transformed into Fr. Kearns Street - Windsor Street into Colonel Perry Street - Market Square into O'Connell Square - Blundell Street into Fr. Paul Murphy Street, and lastly the Town Hall into Fr.…

Edenderry in times past, vol 21

This ticket from 1929 is indicative of the Public celebration of the centenary of  Catholic emancipation in 1829, with which Daniel O'Connell was credited. The ticket refers to him as "the Liberator" and is an example of the equation of Irish Nationalism with Catholicism.
The ticket was produced by the local printer J.Conmee as is shown on the margin

Edenderry in times past, vol 20

The stubs of Raffle tickets for local events can often be a valuable source of information about the economic profile of the area. This raffle ticket for Ballinabrackey Parochial funds in 1928 identifies 21 local donors.

Edenderry in times past, vol 19

This 1918 raffle ticket for fundraising from Croghan Parochial Hall identifies 19 local donors and gives a snapshot of the economic profile of the Croghan area

Edenderry in times past, vol 18

This raffle was promoted by M. P. O'Brien (Universal Providing Store) for Christmas 1933. Again note the emphasis on Irish Products.

Edenderry in times past, vol 17

This 1919 ticket was to raise funds for Edenderry Parish Church Building Fund where the active Promoter was the Local prominent Businessmen are identified as being the Guarantors of the Prizes.

Edenderry in times past, vol 16

This raffle took place 18 months after the Easter Rising 1916 and the Proclamation of the Irish Republic. Note the emphasis on Irish made products (cutlery, and knives and forks) and the commemoration of Pearse, Casement and John Mitchell (Jail Journal). James Colgan who presented the 4th Prize was a leading figure in the Local Sinn Fein movement and a militant Nationalist.  Colgan's Bridge, over the Grand Canal at Drumcooley is identified with the Colgan family.

Edenderry in times past,vol 13

This 1927 ticket identifies the Community of Sisters of St. John of God as being the donor of the single prize, Five Pounds, in order to raise funds for The Crucifixion Window in St. Mary's Church as the Centenary of Catholic Emancipation (1829) was fast approaching.

Edenderry in times past, vol 15

Edenderry supports the Boer Republic, 1902
The following was reported in the Brandon Daily Sun newspaper (Manitoba, Canada) 20 March 1902 in which the Edenderry Board of Guardians gave their support to the Boers who were fighting the British Army in South Africa.



Edenderry in times past, vol 14

Civil War in Edenderry, 1922
The 6th Brigade Headquarters of the newly formed Irish Army ( "National Army") was located in the "Union" Buildings ( the Edenderry Union of the Board of Guardians). This letter is from the Quartermaster's Section.

After June 1922 the anti-Treaty forces were gradually pushed back into the South and West of the country.
Civil War events in the Edenderry area included the demolition of Georges' Bridge over the Grand Canal on the Tullamore Road and the burning of Toberdaly House.

The 1798 Rebellion in Edenderry

Particulars of a late engagement with the Rebels, which have not before appeared
Extract of a letter from Edenderry,
July 13th, 1798 “Major Ormsby, on hearing of Clonard being attacked by the Rebels, about one o’clock on Wednesday the 11th inst. sent off an express to Colonel Gough, at Philipstown, who immediately marched for Edenderry, with forty of the Limerick regiment, and twenty of the 7th Dragoon Guards; they halted in Edenderry that night. “Next morning, on Colonel Gough getting information that the Rebels slept at Carberry and were very numerous, he immediately marched with 60 infantry, 20 of the 7th Dragoon Guards, and 10 of the Cooleystown and Warrenstown cavalry. Col. Gough, with this little force, followed the Rebels upwards of twelve miles, to the hill of Nockderrig, within two miles of Johnstown, where they were strongly posted. On Colonel Gough’s getting sight of the Rebels, he immediately drew up his forces, and resolved to attack them, tho’ their numbers were above 500…

Horace Waters, Engineer

The following is an obituary for Horace Waters, an Edenderry Civil Engineer who died in 1916. He lived in Blundell House at the time of his death.

His wife heard him choking at 11.30pmand summoned Dr Kinsella but he died within minutes.  Two months previous he was ill with an affliction of the heart. On the 1st of July he attended Edenderry NO 1 District Council on official business as he was assistant county surveyor. The deceased was a son of Mr TG Waters of Kilpatrick, Monasterevin, county Kildare. He was also a principal racing judgewho hunted with the Kildare hounds. Horace was born in 1861 and was educated at Alston college Chesire and the Queens College Galway where he won a gold medal. He was later a mathematics student at the Royal College of Ireland where he graduated with a B.E. degree with honours. He was the principal engineer with the West Clare Railway andbuilt the stands for the Limerick Junction Race course. He married in 1896. Replacing the late Mr Barr CE as assista…

Far from the short grass: Looking for Kildare emigrants in the new world

During the Great Irish Famine of the 1840s more than a million people left Ireland bound for new lives scattered across the globe. Owing to very limited and ineffective communications network many simply lost touch with their families. From 1831-1921 more than 40,000 advertisements were placed in the Boston Pilot newspaper in America from people wishing to find relatives who had left for Canada and America, including several for people from the Carbury area. These included, for example, John Boyle from Carbury village who left Dublin bound for Quebec in 1831 and who was being sought by his brother Patrick who had settled by 1854 in New Jersey. Patrick was joined by Lawrence and Martin Dunn, his brothers in law. Thomas Beaty from Cadamstown was sought by Bridget Fox residing in Sussex County, New Jersey. Sadly Fox also sought her mother Elizabeth and siblings Marcella; James, John from whom she had disconnected. The Fox family had lived at Cadamstown, as had Philip Gaffney who was soug…