Skip to main content

Horace Waters, Engineer

The following is an obituary for Horace Waters, an Edenderry Civil Engineer who died in 1916. He lived in Blundell House at the time of his death.

His wife heard him choking at 11.30pm  and summoned Dr Kinsella but he died within minutes.  Two months previous he was ill with an affliction of the heart. On the 1st of July he attended Edenderry NO 1 District Council on official business as he was assistant county surveyor. The deceased was a son of Mr TG Waters of Kilpatrick, Monasterevin, county Kildare. He was also a principal racing judge who hunted with the Kildare hounds. Horace was born in 1861 and was educated at Alston college Chesire and the Queens College Galway where he won a gold medal. He was later a mathematics student at the Royal College of Ireland where he graduated with a B.E. degree with honours. He was the principal engineer with the West Clare Railway and  built the stands for the Limerick Junction Race course. He married in 1896. Replacing the late Mr Barr CE as assistant County surveyor and engineer to the Edenderry board of guardians, he had lived in the town since 1893. He was also an engineer on the Boyne Drainage Board and was held in great esteem by the people. His funeral on Wednesday was announced as private but a huge crowd turned out. All the shops closed and the blinds were closed. Rev RH Bodel gave the graveside oration, while the chief mourners included Mr Horace Waters (son), Mr R Waters, a brother, Mr M Williams of Kilrush an uncle, Mr John Casey of Donnybrook, a cousin. The UPS carried out the funeral. On Tuesday The Edenderry Town Council passed a vote of sympathy.
 
Blundell House, built in 1813 which was home to Horace Waters from 1893-1916

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A SHORT HISTORY OF EDENDERRY

From earliest times to the 13th Century.


About 120 AD Cathair Mór. King of Leinster, became powerful enough to be designated Ard-Rí Éireann by the four masters in the annals.He had ten sons, the eldest Ros Fáilghe (“of the rings”) was given the territory of North Offaly which became known as Uí Fáilighe in later times and from which the name Offaly derives.

The O’Connor sept is descended from Ros, they ruled all or part of Offaly up until the late 16th century.Offaly was divided into 7 “tríocha céad” or districts.Each district had it’s own sub-chief, the area that includes modern day Edenderry was called Tuatha-dá-Muighe, the territory of the two plains, which was the patrimonial inheritance of the O’Mulkenes.The name of the area gradually became corrupted until it was known as Tetmoy Ballykilleen Fort
This is the oldest structure extant in the Edenderry area. (To get to it head out of Edenderry on Tullamore road and turn left at Ballyfore crossroads towards the power station).

It is a tri…

When Edenderry was Ireland’s ‘Detroit’

Detroit is synonymous with being the Headquarters of the US Car manufacturing Industry. There was a time at the start of the 20th Century when it could be fairly said that Edenderry was the “Detroit”, or motor car manufacturing capital of Ireland.

The first motor car manufacturer was William Corrigan.His gravestone at CastroPetreCemetery records that he died on the 3rd January 1946 aged 83 years. 42 years earlier, in 1902, and at the age of 41 or so, he manufactured a 4 ½ hp car. Apparently there is a photograph of this car in the museum of the Royal Irish Automobile Club which has its headquarters in Kildare Street, Dublin. William Corrigan ran a very successful garage business. According to details recorded in one of the late Joe Reilly’s books, over 40 people were employed there and some of the principal customers were O’Brien’s which had 15 Lorries and 8 Vans and Williams’ Bakery.The garage business was located at the rear of William Corrigan’s house on Main Street Edenderry. Joe D…

Blundell Castle, Edenderry

BLUNDELL CASTLE: A BRIEF HISTORY The area around Edenderry is littered with castles, most of which were built in the Anglo- Norman period, such as Carrick, Kinnefad, Ballyleakin and Brackagh amongst others. Overlooking the town of Edenderry, BlundellCastle is located on a hill from which the town gets its name; Eadon Doire, meaning brow or hill-top of the oak trees. Today, the oak trees are long since gone, but the ruins of the castle remain, a testament to the days of De Bermingham and O’Connor feuding, and later Cooley (or Cowley) power, the family who were granted the lands of Edenderry after the Laois/Offaly Plantation in 1556. In their book, Edenderry through the ages[1], Evans and Whelan make no mention of a date of the building of BlundellCastle. The earliest mention they make of the castle is when referring to the 1550 survey taken prior to the plantation, which mentions “a path to the castell of Eadandyrre”[2]. The remains of the present castle, or tower house, can be traced t…