Skip to main content

The 1798 Rebellion in Edenderry


Particulars of a late engagement with the Rebels, which have not before appeared
Extract of a letter from Edenderry,
July 13th, 1798
“Major Ormsby, on hearing of Clonard being attacked by the Rebels, about one o’clock on Wednesday the 11th inst. sent off an express to Colonel Gough, at Philipstown, who immediately marched for Edenderry, with forty of the Limerick regiment, and twenty of the 7th Dragoon Guards; they halted in Edenderry that night.
“Next morning, on Colonel Gough getting information that the Rebels slept at Carberry and were very numerous, he immediately marched with 60 infantry, 20 of the 7th Dragoon Guards, and 10 of the Cooleystown and Warrenstown cavalry. Col. Gough, with this little force, followed the Rebels upwards of twelve miles, to the hill of Nockderrig, within two miles of Johnstown, where they were strongly posted. On Colonel Gough’s getting sight of the Rebels, he immediately drew up his forces, and resolved to attack them, tho’ their numbers were above 5000. He ordered the cavalry, under the command of Cornet Miller, of the 7th Dragoon Guards, to take their post on a road leading to the hill, and charge the enemy when he had broke them. The Colonel then marched his men up a narrow lane leading to a hill, but finding that he might be annoyed from behind the hedges, he wheeled to the right, under the cover of a large ditch, which the Rebels perceiving, gave three cheers, and shewed their whole force. Colonel Gough then advanced briskly up the hill, under a heavy fire, which had but little effect, the enemy’s bullets flying over their heads, the Colonel with much difficulty preventing his men from firing ‘till they came within reach of them, when he commenced a steady, well-directed fire, which lasted above 20 minutes. The Rebels then fled in different directions, leaving behind them a great number dead, and all their provisions and live stock. Were it not that the country was so enclosed that the cavalry could not act, the defeat would have been much more decisive. On Col. Gough’s getting possession of the hill he found forty sheep and three bullocks half-skinned, a great number of pots boiling, also several car-loads of flour, groceries, wine, and spirits, with many other articles too numerous to mention. He also took a small swivel which he broke, two casks of powder, a vast quantity of lead, and some boxes of swan shot. Col. Gough with his little army brought into Edenderry one green sill Standard with a device of a cross, and the initials L. H. S., 161 black cattle, 53 horses, and seven thousand yards of sheeting.
The defeat of so numerous a body of Rebels is entirely owing to the alacrity with which Col. Gough led his men to the attack and to the coolness and intrepidity with which he conducted the whole of the business. The loss of the King’s troops was but two men killed and five slightly wounded.
(The Public Register or Freeman’s Journal 21 July 1798)
 
 
For a more indepth account of the 1798 rebellion in Edenderry see Ciaran Reilly's book, Edenderry, county Offaly and the Downshire estate 1790-1800 which can be purchased here at
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A SHORT HISTORY OF EDENDERRY

From earliest times to the 13th Century.


About 120 AD Cathair Mór. King of Leinster, became powerful enough to be designated Ard-Rí Éireann by the four masters in the annals.He had ten sons, the eldest Ros Fáilghe (“of the rings”) was given the territory of North Offaly which became known as Uí Fáilighe in later times and from which the name Offaly derives.

The O’Connor sept is descended from Ros, they ruled all or part of Offaly up until the late 16th century.Offaly was divided into 7 “tríocha céad” or districts.Each district had it’s own sub-chief, the area that includes modern day Edenderry was called Tuatha-dá-Muighe, the territory of the two plains, which was the patrimonial inheritance of the O’Mulkenes.The name of the area gradually became corrupted until it was known as Tetmoy Ballykilleen Fort
This is the oldest structure extant in the Edenderry area. (To get to it head out of Edenderry on Tullamore road and turn left at Ballyfore crossroads towards the power station).

It is a tri…

Blundell Castle, Edenderry

BLUNDELL CASTLE: A BRIEF HISTORY The area around Edenderry is littered with castles, most of which were built in the Anglo- Norman period, such as Carrick, Kinnefad, Ballyleakin and Brackagh amongst others. Overlooking the town of Edenderry, BlundellCastle is located on a hill from which the town gets its name; Eadon Doire, meaning brow or hill-top of the oak trees. Today, the oak trees are long since gone, but the ruins of the castle remain, a testament to the days of De Bermingham and O’Connor feuding, and later Cooley (or Cowley) power, the family who were granted the lands of Edenderry after the Laois/Offaly Plantation in 1556. In their book, Edenderry through the ages[1], Evans and Whelan make no mention of a date of the building of BlundellCastle. The earliest mention they make of the castle is when referring to the 1550 survey taken prior to the plantation, which mentions “a path to the castell of Eadandyrre”[2]. The remains of the present castle, or tower house, can be traced t…

When Edenderry was Ireland’s ‘Detroit’

Detroit is synonymous with being the Headquarters of the US Car manufacturing Industry. There was a time at the start of the 20th Century when it could be fairly said that Edenderry was the “Detroit”, or motor car manufacturing capital of Ireland.

The first motor car manufacturer was William Corrigan.His gravestone at CastroPetreCemetery records that he died on the 3rd January 1946 aged 83 years. 42 years earlier, in 1902, and at the age of 41 or so, he manufactured a 4 ½ hp car. Apparently there is a photograph of this car in the museum of the Royal Irish Automobile Club which has its headquarters in Kildare Street, Dublin. William Corrigan ran a very successful garage business. According to details recorded in one of the late Joe Reilly’s books, over 40 people were employed there and some of the principal customers were O’Brien’s which had 15 Lorries and 8 Vans and Williams’ Bakery.The garage business was located at the rear of William Corrigan’s house on Main Street Edenderry. Joe D…