EDENDERRY HISTORICAL SOCIETY,
Search This Blog
Edenderry in times past, vol 25
Bernard Carroll, former Town Commissioner, carried on a
victualler business and general stores, as the “J.K.L. Stores” at No. 4 J.K.L. Street,
which is now occupied by a Pet Shop.For
many years it was Ronan’s Shop which had a mixed business including Bicycle
Sales and Repair and light electrical and subsequently became better known from
the early 1960’s as Edenderry’s First Music-Record Shop.
Pre-1921, the Local Sinn Fein Party had its office in part
of the building.
About 120 AD Cathair Mór. King of Leinster,
became powerful enough to be designated Ard-Rí Éireann by the four masters in
the annals.He had ten sons, the eldest
Ros Fáilghe (“of the rings”) was given the territory of North Offaly which
became known as Uí Fáilighe in later times and from which the name Offaly
The O’Connor sept is descended from Ros,
they ruled all or part of Offaly up until the late 16th century.Offaly was divided into 7 “tríocha céad” or
districts.Each district had it’s own
sub-chief, the area that includes modern day Edenderry was called
Tuatha-dá-Muighe, the territory of the two plains, which was the patrimonial
inheritance of the O’Mulkenes.The name
of the area gradually became corrupted until it was known as Tetmoy Ballykilleen
Fort This is the oldest structure extant in the
Edenderry area. (To get to it head out of Edenderry on Tullamore road and turn
left at Ballyfore crossroads towards the power station).
BLUNDELL CASTLE: A BRIEF HISTORY The area around Edenderry is littered with
castles, most of which were built in the Anglo- Norman period, such as Carrick,
Kinnefad, Ballyleakin and Brackagh amongst others. Overlooking the town of Edenderry, BlundellCastle is located on a
hill from which the town gets its name; Eadon Doire, meaning brow or hill-top
of the oak trees. Today, the oak trees are long since gone, but the ruins of
the castle remain, a testament to the days of De Bermingham and O’Connor feuding,
and later Cooley (or Cowley) power, the family who were granted the lands of Edenderry
after the Laois/Offaly Plantation in 1556. In their book, Edenderry through
Evans and Whelan make no mention of a date of the building of BlundellCastle. The earliest mention they make
of the castle is when referring to the 1550 survey taken prior to the
plantation, which mentions “a path to the castell of Eadandyrre”.
The remains of the present castle, or tower house, can be traced t…
synonymous with being the Headquarters of the US Car manufacturing Industry.
There was a time at the start of the 20th Century when it could be
fairly said that Edenderry was the “Detroit”, or motor car manufacturing
capital of Ireland.
The first motor
car manufacturer was William Corrigan.His gravestone at CastroPetreCemetery
records that he died on the 3rd January 1946 aged 83 years. 42 years
earlier, in 1902, and at the age of 41 or so, he manufactured a 4 ½ hp car.
Apparently there is a photograph of this car in the museum of the Royal Irish
Automobile Club which has its headquarters in Kildare Street, Dublin. William
Corrigan ran a very successful garage business. According to details recorded
in one of the late Joe Reilly’s books, over 40 people were employed there and
some of the principal customers were O’Brien’s which had 15 Lorries and 8 Vans
and Williams’ Bakery.The garage
business was located at the rear of William Corrigan’s house on Main Street
Edenderry. Joe D…