Skip to main content

Edenderry in times past, vol 31

The Society has been very fortunate over the past few months to receive a wonderful collection of shop billheads and other emphera from one of our members Declan O'Connor, formerly of JKL Street and now an active member of the Maynooth Local History Group. Declan's collection and insights into the shop owners opens up a vista on the Edenderry of almost 100 years ago. Here are a selection of some of the Declan's latest contributions. It also includes some information about local clubs and societies. Look out for Declan's lecture to the Edenderry Society this coming May!

This dance invitation for Edenderry Lawn Tennis Club in 1928 also includes the Committee which is probably the full membership.
 
The O'Toole Family were prominent Estate Agents and Solicitors in Edenderry and had also owned a Public House which Larkin's now occupy.  The receipt appears to be for items from a House Clearance Auction.
This is a 1915 Bill Head from Whelan's Shop which was to the left of the modern "Eden Deli" and in modern times was the Dental Surgery of Dr. James Groome.
 
One of the Ladley Family may have had a local dance band. The garage was located beside what is now the Granary Apartments Development. See the cost of Car hire to Diangean in 1937  12/6d
 
 
This is a variety of Bill Heads from Hubert Kelly who operated a shop from his house at 10 JKL Street to the 1950's.  It is likely that the Suppliers like Jacobs, Lipton's and Wills' supplied the Shop Notepaper free in exchange for a prominent advertising slot. 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A SHORT HISTORY OF EDENDERRY

From earliest times to the 13th Century.


About 120 AD Cathair Mór. King of Leinster, became powerful enough to be designated Ard-Rí Éireann by the four masters in the annals.He had ten sons, the eldest Ros Fáilghe (“of the rings”) was given the territory of North Offaly which became known as Uí Fáilighe in later times and from which the name Offaly derives.

The O’Connor sept is descended from Ros, they ruled all or part of Offaly up until the late 16th century.Offaly was divided into 7 “tríocha céad” or districts.Each district had it’s own sub-chief, the area that includes modern day Edenderry was called Tuatha-dá-Muighe, the territory of the two plains, which was the patrimonial inheritance of the O’Mulkenes.The name of the area gradually became corrupted until it was known as Tetmoy Ballykilleen Fort
This is the oldest structure extant in the Edenderry area. (To get to it head out of Edenderry on Tullamore road and turn left at Ballyfore crossroads towards the power station).

It is a tri…

When Edenderry was Ireland’s ‘Detroit’

Detroit is synonymous with being the Headquarters of the US Car manufacturing Industry. There was a time at the start of the 20th Century when it could be fairly said that Edenderry was the “Detroit”, or motor car manufacturing capital of Ireland.

The first motor car manufacturer was William Corrigan.His gravestone at CastroPetreCemetery records that he died on the 3rd January 1946 aged 83 years. 42 years earlier, in 1902, and at the age of 41 or so, he manufactured a 4 ½ hp car. Apparently there is a photograph of this car in the museum of the Royal Irish Automobile Club which has its headquarters in Kildare Street, Dublin. William Corrigan ran a very successful garage business. According to details recorded in one of the late Joe Reilly’s books, over 40 people were employed there and some of the principal customers were O’Brien’s which had 15 Lorries and 8 Vans and Williams’ Bakery.The garage business was located at the rear of William Corrigan’s house on Main Street Edenderry. Joe D…

Blundell Castle, Edenderry

BLUNDELL CASTLE: A BRIEF HISTORY The area around Edenderry is littered with castles, most of which were built in the Anglo- Norman period, such as Carrick, Kinnefad, Ballyleakin and Brackagh amongst others. Overlooking the town of Edenderry, BlundellCastle is located on a hill from which the town gets its name; Eadon Doire, meaning brow or hill-top of the oak trees. Today, the oak trees are long since gone, but the ruins of the castle remain, a testament to the days of De Bermingham and O’Connor feuding, and later Cooley (or Cowley) power, the family who were granted the lands of Edenderry after the Laois/Offaly Plantation in 1556. In their book, Edenderry through the ages[1], Evans and Whelan make no mention of a date of the building of BlundellCastle. The earliest mention they make of the castle is when referring to the 1550 survey taken prior to the plantation, which mentions “a path to the castell of Eadandyrre”[2]. The remains of the present castle, or tower house, can be traced t…