Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from September, 2014

Some historical landmarks in Edenderry

From earliest times to the 13th Century.

About 120 AD Cathair Mór. King of Leinster, became powerful enough to be designated Ard-Rí Éireann by the four masters in the annals.  He had ten sons, the eldest Ros Fáilghe (“of the rings”) was given the territory of North Offaly which became known as Uí Fáilighe in later times and from which the name Offaly derives.

The O’Connor sept is descended from Ros, they ruled all or part of Offaly up until the late 16th century.  Offaly was divided into 7 “tríocha céad” or districts.  Each district had it’s own sub-chief, the area that includes modern day Edenderry was called Tuatha-dá-Muighe, the territory of the two plains, which was the patrimonial inheritance of the O’Mulkenes.  The name of the area gradually became corrupted until it was known as Tethmoy.

---- Ballykilleen Fort

This is the oldest structure extant in the Edenderry area. (To get to it head out of Edenderry on Tullamore road and turn left at Ballyfore crossroads towards the power statio…

Edenderry in times past, vol 37

John Jerome Kinsella was a long serving Medical General Practitioner in Edenderry.  He also founded the "Medical Hall" Pharmacy.  He was of Wexford heritage and died in 1929.
He was commemorated by a Portico in the local Cottage Hospital. 


Edenderry in times past, vol 36

The Spanish Flu.  The Influenza Pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War estimated at between 20 and 40 million people.  It was the most devastating epidemic ever recorded in world history and in the two years of its existence 1/5th of the worlds population was infected.  It was most deadly for people aged 20 to 40.

Edenderry in times past, vol 35

James O'Rourke was born a Clonavoe, Clonbullogue. He married Brigid Mulally from Kilcullen Street, Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow and who worked in Fays Shop. Together, they opened a shop at Killane Cross and in 1916 relocated to what is now 5 JKL Street, Edenderry and now part of Brady's Shop and the Post Office.
In 1928 they purchased the licensed premises and shop which is now Eugene Byrnes Public House ("The Oakwood Inn").  They sold this business in 1948 and continued farming.