The church of Castropetre was built in 1777-78 replacing Monasteroris as a place of worship for the Church of Ireland community. The entrance gates to the Church were constructed in 1840. Along the church walk there was a school, and a residence for the teacher.
The statue on the avenue is of the 3rd Marquess of Downshire who was responsible for the development of Edenderry. The antlered deer heads on the piers represent the Downshire coat of arms.
‘This project has been funded by The Heritage Council’